The Vallisaari and Kuninkaansaari islands, which transferred from the Defence Forces to Metsähallitus, served as military fortresses for hundreds of years. They were opened to the public in the spring of 2016. Thanks to their rich nature and gloomy past, the islands became popular outing destinations immediately, with more than 90,000 people visiting Vallisaari during the summer season.
The most popular attractions were Alexander’s Artillery Battery and Kuolemanlaakso (the “Valley of Death”), where a devastating explosives accident occurred in 1937. The untamed, wild nature of the islands, with their ponds, lime trees and meadows, drew visitors to them.
Over the coming years, Vallisaari will be developed into an ecological nature tourism and recreation destination. There will be a wide range of services and new routes to parts of the island that are still closed at present.
› About Vallisaari Island
Photo: Kalle Kataila